Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lunch Update Week 2


Lunch Box #2



I've decided to post one kids' lunch from the week every week. I am sure I am going to have many repeats of lunches so I am hoping this will keep me on my toes. When I find  something that the kids like and do it over and over again they eventually get sick of it, so I need to not get stuck in a rut.

So you know I eat gluten-free but my family does not. The lunches I post will have gluten in them, but not always. I am planning on trying some recipes next week that use whole spelt flour instead of regular flour and see how that goes (spelt has minimal amounts of gluten), but for now I used my leftover pizza dough and made whole wheat heart shaped bread sticks to go with the other things in the lunch. 

I would really like a better balance in the lunchboxes - 1/2 fruit and veggies and the other half protein and a grain. That seems attainable although I am not there yet. Another goal is to "have a rainbow" of colors of fruits and veggies. That is from one of the tips posted by Primal Kitchen who makes her preschooler paleo lunchboxes every day. She is such an inspiration and knows what she is talking about! Today's box has carrots, fresh pineapple and kiwi, a hard boiled egg, slice of bacon, a whole wheat heart breadstick and cheese "hearts." I am including a little dessert every day to keep them excited about the boxes. Today is little mini chocolate cupcakes with no frosting.  



I used the leftover whole wheat  dough from my mini pizzas to make the breadsticks.


1/2 Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Nicole CaulfieldINGREDIENTS
  • 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 packet Fleishmann's rapid rise yeast
  • 2 cups hot water
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • kosher salt 


INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Put all your flour, salt, and yeast in a heavy duty food processor with the dough blade in.
  1. Warm up a cup of water in the microwave on high for a minute. Remove and mix in 1 cup hot water from the tap. Mix in the oil with the water.
  1. Pour the water/oil mixture into the food processor and turn on. Let it go for a couple of minutes or until you have a well mixed dough. If you need to add water or flour go ahead
  1. Let sit for 10 minutes in an oiled bowl with a towel over the top.
  1. Pull of 2 inch balls of dough and roll a long coil. Wrap around to make a heart and pinch the bottom to make a point. 
  1. Brush with whipped egg and sprinkle with kosher salt. 
  1. Bake  @ 375 until browned.  
If you don't have  a food processor - mix half the flour with salt & yeast & all of the water/oil mixture. Combine well and then add the remaining flour. Knead until smooth and doughy. Resume with step # 4. 


Like my jumbo silicone muffin cups? They make great dividers!


2 comments: